What is the Curly Girl method and which products are best for this routine?
Currently there are many hair products and routines to maintain strong and healthy hair. One of the most popular at present is the Curly Girl Method, aimed mainly at curly or wavy hair and keeping it looking at its best.
If you have not yet heard about it, read on and we will tell you everything you need to know including what you need to carry out this new method of hair care and see visible results in just a few days. We also tell you about a few useful products for this type of wavy new look.
What is the Curly Girl Method
The Curly Girl Method, also known as CGM, is a special new hair care routine based on using a series of natural products and specifically designed to take care of curly hair keeping the curls defined and well hydrated.
This method has its origin in the book "Curly Girl: The Handbook", written by the famous stylist Lorraine Massey, where as well as new techniques and beauty tricks, she highlights the importance of using non aggressive hair care products.
The author emphasises how to keep curly hair in good condition and it is best to avoid products with silicones, sulphates, mineral oils, waxes and dehydrating alcohols, etc. She also advises against the use of heat-emitting devices such as hair dryers or irons to keep that perfect curl at its best.
What is the hair routine about?
- The first step of this hair care routine is to wash your hair really well with a 'healthy' shampoo to remove harmful compounds , such as silicones. This stage is known as the "Final Wash" and the success of the rest of the hair treatment and the Curly Girl before and after result will depend on it.To get the best out of your Final Wash, you need to use a shampoo that contains sulphates and but is silicone-free. It is advisable to repeat this step 2-3 times.
- Sulphate Shampoo is only used in the Final Wash stage of the treatment. From here on you should wash your hair with products that do not contain sulphates. This way, you will see a deeper and healthier clean take place.
- After washing your hair, you should apply a mask or conditioner to the ends to avoid the characteristic knots of any curly hair. It is best to use your hands to help you apply the conditioner product, although you can also use a wide-toothed comb.
- Once you have applied the mask or conditioner by massaging your hair, you should leave it to act for approximately 10-15 minutes. At this point we recommend covering your head with a shower cap or a towel to increase the heat and get better results. Rinse hair well, preferably with cold or warm water.
- The next step is to use curly girl products on damp hair. First apply a leave-in product such as a cream to avoid frizz and then a styling product to maintain definition. Distribute it evenly in your hair each time and shape your curls with the "scrunching" technique.
- Once you have applied these, wait for your hair to air dry or use a blow dryer with cold air.
- At night tie the hair on the head when you go to sleep or wear a night cap. The main goal of this is to reduce frizz.
- During the day, hydrate your hair constantly with a little water, either using your hands or with a spray. It is recommended to use mineral free water.
- Finally, apply a mask to your curly girl hair at least once a week, leaving it to act for 20-30 minutes. This will add shine and softness to your dry curls.
Products suitable for the Curly Girl Method
Some of the best products recommended for this type of hair styling method are the following:
Fructis Papaya Hair Food
This new moisture indulging product can be used as a conditioner or a mask. It contains papaya extract and vegetable oils, ideal ingredients to add shine and hydrate that curl after washing with your sulphate free shampoo.
Pure Silk Moisturising Shampoo
Again this hydrating shampoo bring plenty of moisture to your locks. It is suitable for almost all hair types, and widely used in the Curly Girl Method for wavy type hair. It has a number of natural ingredients such as olive and safflower oil and green tea.
Ultra Defining Gel
This gel prevents frizz and aid styling to see defined curls. It contains soy and wheat proteins, adding shine, control and moisture to hair.
Hydrating Curl Creme
This cream is ideal for controlling frizzy afro hair. Containing aloe vera and other natural ingredients to repair and help see shiny and silky hair.
Hydrapousse Moisture Mask
This conditioner is full of moisture, perfect for the curly girl method. If you want to deeply hydrate, this product is for you. it contains natural ingredients that repair, hydrate and soften the hair fibre.
Other tips to keep in mind for this method
- Remember not to use products that contain waxes, silicones, sulphates or mineral oils.
- Don't comb curly hair, unless it's wet hair using a coarse tooth comb or your own fingers.
- Don't apply heat to your curls.