Gel nail manicures - a step by step guideGel or Shellac nail manicures are one of the most popular beauty rituals among women. If you have the right tools and want to save some money you can do this beauty treatment in your own home, free of charge. We will tell you how, step by step.
How to do a Gel nail manicure step by stepDoing gel nails or shellac manicures at home isn't difficult when you have the right collection of equipment. Before starting make sure that you have the following: gel or shellac nail polish in the colour or colours of your choice (if you do not have gel or shellac polish you can use a normal enamel), base primer gel, top coat gel polish, cuticle cutters, nail clippers, a file, UV or led lamp, pure acetone, a wooden cuticle pusher (also known as an orange wood stick), and disinfectant nail cleaner. You can also include a nail or cuticle moisturiser in your nail set.
If you are already have your nails painted, you will need to remove any nail polish before you start. Use cotton wool moistened with pure acetone. Rub it gently on the surface until you can see a clean, natural nail free of nail polish.
Steps to follow for a great gel nail manicure:
- Put your nails in a bowl of water for 2 minutes. This will make the cuticles soft and easier to clean.
- Next, dry your hands and proceed to clean the cuticle area using your little orange wood stick and with the help of the cuticle cutter remove any excess of the cuticle.
- Cut your nails and file them until they are the desired size and shape. Once finished, use the soft part of the file to smooth the surface of the nail.
- Clean your nails with the help of a disinfectant cleaner to remove any traces of dirt.
- With clean nails, apply a base layer of gel primer on the surface of each one. Depending on the thickness you want to achieve, you can apply a second base coat.
- Next, it is time to apply the gel or shellac polish. You can do your manicure with the style and technique of your choice, (and that you know how to do), such as nails with a gradient effect or with geometric shapes of different colour polish, you choose!
- When applying the gel polish on one hand, turn on the UV or led lamp and place it under led light for 1 minute until the gel polish dries. When finished, repeat the procedure with the opposite hand.
- If you think you need to apply a second coat of gel, do so and repeat the drying process with the led lamp to get the best manicures.
- To finish, apply a top coat of gel which can be plain or choose one with glitter. Place your nails under the led light once again.
And that is it! giving yourself a gel manicure really is that easy! If you have the right nail set and equipment, it is only a matter of time before you become an expert in this beauty technique. Soon you will be able to experiment with more elaborate designs.
How long will my gel nails last?
One of the benefits of gel nails is that they can remain intact for several weeks. You should take note though, that if you do shellac or gel manicures with a non gel nail polish, the result may not last as long.
For this reason you should get a good quality gel or shellac nail polish that allows you to enjoy a perfect nails for 3 or 4 weeks. Take note that if you use a good top coat during your manicure, the result will be much better and you will be able to enjoy your nails without worrying about the polish getting damaged or chipped.
Tips and tricksTo make your nails look incredible and impeccable, we have several tips for you to follow during your manicure that can help you achieve a good result. Trust us, your nails will thank you.
- Use excellent quality products.
- Apply a moisturising polish before using the gel primer to prevent the nail from drying out.
- Keep your hands hydrated with the help of an oil, cream or lotion.
- Put sunscreen on your hands before using the UV light.